Well a few weeks ago Stewart had told me Zachary had been coughing at night for almost two weeks now. I had been tired and sleeping through it, but since he was working nights on his nights off he heard him coughing. I made an appointment to take him into the doctor, who put Zachary on an antibiotic. But he also wanted to make sure it was nothing serious, they drew blood from Zachary and did a nose swab. Zachary sat perfectly still as they drew blood from his arm. The antibiotics seemed to do the trick. A few days later, Zachary's cough was disappearing.
But as I said I was not feeling well, I thought it was just a cold, but it was dragging on too long. I really didn't want to go to a German doctor. They do not like prescribing antibiotics and I was to the point where I wanted some. But I was trying to get stuff done for Stewart's parents visit. They came on Monday September 28th. So on Tuesday I tried getting in to see an American doctor. They did not have an appointment available. Then later that day the doctor called and said the whole family had to come in. Zachary tested positive for the Whooping Cough. He needed to treat the entire family with antibiotics. I started reading and found it was very contagious and I was starting to worry about Stewart's parents. This in not something they want to get. We all went into see the doctor and get our medicine. Everyone including Stewart's parents were put on antibiotics. What a welcome to Germany.
I have no idea how Zachary got it. Most likely I got it first and passed it onto Zachary. Zachary's illness was caught early enough the antibiotics cleared him right up. I on the other hand have been coughing for the last two weeks with no sign of improvement. It has been over a week since I started the antibiotics with little improvement. And yes the Whooping Cough is preventable with a vaccine, and yes Zachary is up to date on his vaccines. But they are never a sure thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment