Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Schloss Solitude


Well with Stewart back in Texas for 2 weeks the kids and I needed to get out and go somewhere. We drive by this castle on the way to church and have driven around it, but never gotten out to see it. I had to go to the church tonight to drop something off, so I packed up a picnic dinner and off we went. Rain or shine I was going to go see the castle. Well we got a bit of rain.


We were not going to let a little rain stop us. After all what kid doesn't like to play in the rain.


Castle Solitude was built as a hunting lodge, construction began in 1665, by Duke Karl Eugen of Württemberg. This is the biggest hunting lodge I have ever seen (so far).

The cost of building the castle exceeded the budget. And due to a war against Prussia the Duke had to relocate to the castle in Ludwigsburg. In 1770 the castle was turned into a high school. Then an arts academy, a military academy and also an University for the elite.











It is now the home of the Academy Castle Solitude which was founded in 1990. The academy gives art scholarships to students around the world. They are given living quarters, working and exhibition space in the buildings surrounding the castle.








It only rained a little. We had a nice quiet stroll around the area. It is always crowded on the weekends when we drive by. There are walking trails and forests all around castle. The large grassy areas are filled with blankets, picnics and kids playing soccer. But tonight we saw maybe 15 people there. The kids and I played with Thomas' balloon helicopter until the balloon popped. I have never heard such a loud pop. We were about 300 feet from the castle, but the pop echoed through the open area under the castle and sounded more like a cannon shot. So we played a bit of soccer after that.



























I had the kids pose for pictures by this field of flowers. It took quite a while to get Zachary to look at the camera and not the bees on the flowers. Cassidy had to make silly faces and noises while standing behind me. It took some coaxing to get Cassidy out there for the picture with the bees flying around. And as you see I didn't succeed with Thomas. He does not like bugs flying around him or crawling on him.


























We ate dinner by this tree. Zachary found out the spaces around the trunk were filled with water. His shoes and socks were soaked when we got back to the car.


3 comments:

Emily Petty said...

Hi Jenni! It was great to catch up with you via your blog - we'll be back late next week! Schloss Solitude looks beautiful - we still need to go and I'd love to go to that Memorial too.

Stevens said...

Jenni what an adventure you're having! It looks summer is going well. I loved hearing about your hot dogs and hamburgers. Happy birthday Cassidy. When will she be baptized? Anyone coming to visit! Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Chris and Sarah Seymour said...

what a cool castle! you can never let a little rain get in the way when you live in germany! looks like you guys are keeping busy with all of your adventures. how fun!