Friday, July 10, 2009

Thomas' Kindergarten Program


Thomas' school had a evening BBQ event. They put on a program with dances and skits from different European countries. Thomas' country was Croatia. I have no idea what exactly they were talking about, but it was sure cute. The parents brought food from the different countries.




















Even though they did not put the USA in the program, they asked me to bring real American food, Hot dogs and Hamburgers. The kids and parents already think we are a bit different. Driving our gigantic Suburban to school, not wearing hats in the winter, sending Thomas to school with a PB&J sandwich on Wonder bread all make the kids wonder who we actually are. So for the BBQ I brought our Coleman Grill. All parents were staring at me. We bought it when we moved here. The grill is made for camping or tailgate parties. It is folds down so it fits in the car easily, and uses the small propane canisters. I rolled it down the hill to the Kindergarten and popped it up in front of everyone. A few people came by to look at it. It is not the greatest of grills, so I have to spray Pam on the grates, or everything will stick to it. This drew even more attention. Our food went fast and we only had a few hot dogs left. I saw a couple kids come up and just take the buns. Wonder bread is a wonder to them. I made sure to bring everything American, mustard, ketchup, pickles, relish and even Jalapenos (I didn't see anyone take any of them, except Stewart). They had some games for the kids to play. It was fun, even if I couldn't speak to very many people, or hold a conversation very long. Then the rain came. We have been having evening showers every day that week, so we figured it would come. We got most of dinner eaten before it came. They moved the party inside the school. Stewart and I got soaked as we loaded the car with the food and grill. Cassidy had the time of her life playing in Thomas' school. She always wants to go in and play, but it isn't her school. Thomas showed her all around and they played for an hour or so, until it was time to get home and go to bed.

1 comment:

Gma Grover said...

It seems the teachers there have some great activities for the Kids. The good 'ole days when my children were going to school didn't have a lot of these kind of experiences. Or, my memory is getting worse. What a fun time for everyone!!