
On our trip to Keukenhof we stopped off at the Wiesbaden Army Air Field. You will see the housing unit behind my dad and I where I spent the first two years of my life. We lived on the second floor. We did not go inside (I don't think much has changed), but spent time walking around the building and listening to my dad tell us about his time here. I obviously do not remember anything about this place, except the stories I have heard. We drove around the base, seeing where the hospital was where my dad worked. We had a nice lunch at Subway and then drove on to Holland.
On the way back home we took another side trip. This time to see one of my dad's childhood homes. Well I can't show it to you, because it had been torn down and Officer homes were built on the area. He lived in a housing complex, much like the one above. He lived at Ramstein Air Base when he was 8-11 years old. We ate lunch here and had Baskin Robbins ice cream, while listening to my dad tell us more stories. He went on his first date here. He took a girl to see a Roy Rogers' movie when he was in the 5th grade.
Before my dad and Suzanne made it to our house they had flown into Paris and took a road trip to our home in Stuttgart. They stopped in a village my dad lived in when he was 7. He and his family lived in a hotel for a year and a half. They actually found the hotel and were able to talk to someone who knew the area and they spent time talking about how things have changed since 1952.
No comments:
Post a Comment