The kids were out of school and Stewart had the day off work, so we visited the concentration camp at Dachau. We actually dropped the boys off at a friends house and took only Cassidy with us. We didn't think the boys would really enjoy themselves or understand anything about the place. Cassidy on the other hand read through much of the history with us. We didn't make it through all the written exhibits. Though we spent over four hours there.
The entrance reads "works makes you free".

Dachau was the first concentration camp in Germany, opening in 1933. It was originally designed to hold German political prisoners. The bunker Cassidy is walking through was for the political prisoners.

The entrance reads "works makes you free".
Dachau was the first concentration camp in Germany, opening in 1933. It was originally designed to hold German political prisoners. The bunker Cassidy is walking through was for the political prisoners.
I liked this map showing the countries. Cassidy and I spent a lot of time going over who was on which side and why.
The camp had 32 bunk houses. Most of which were torn down, leaving only the foundations in place.
2 comments:
How cool! I would love to visit Germany one day.
Also, I can't believe how old Cassidy looks in these photos!
Take Care.
We really learned alot about history and concentration camps at Dachau. I am glad you were able to visit.
Post a Comment