Monday, December 29, 2008

Schloss Neuschwanstein




We went to Cinderella's Castle the day after Christmas. It was a nice day with the sun shinning. But what we didn't know was how cold it was still going to be or how far we would have to walk to get to the castle. There is about a 30 minute walk from where we parked to the castle. The boys had it great and Stewart kept warm by pushing the stroller. We got about 3/4 the way up and I realized I had forgotten the Camera in the car. (I did remember the video camera which we never used.) So I jogged back down the hill, while Stewart went on with the kids. At the top he got lunch for the kids, as I raced back up the hill. I was sweating by the time I got back up to the castle, but at least I was warm. I had to take off my gloves and unzip my coat. The kids were all bundled with their gloves and hats Grandma Grover had made for them. We knew we were not going to take the tour inside the castle, just too much for Zachary and Thomas. But it was so cold outside, the kids were cold and Zachary was starting to fuss. So we walked around just a bit, waited in line for the bathroom then hiked back down to the car. Oh yeah Thomas had a fever and wasn't feeling well, so he stayed in the stroller the whole time. Zachary explored a little and Cassidy wanted to ride on the horse cart. They had horse drawn carts to take you up or down the mountain, but there was a long line to get on. It was a quick trip, but it was still fun. We will definitely go back when it gets warmer. They have a lot of hiking trails that were closed because of the snow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are enjoying being with each other...that is all that counts...no matter how far the hike or cold the air. Congratulations on being the best parents you can be!!!!

Emily Petty said...

It looks pretty magical with the snow - but cold - what a lot of exercise you got - it is a hike and so steep! We were out of breath just walking it (and we actually took the bus up to the bridge - we're not so super lazy, just short on time...and a little lazy :)