Wednesday, December 10, 2008

St. Nikolaus

December 6th is St. Nikolaus Day. It is celebrated in Southern Germany by kids polishing their shoes and setting them by the door or the window, then St. Nikolaus comes the night before and fills their shoes with nuts and candy. Well St. Nikolaus came but the kids didn't know he was coming. In the morning Cassidy, Thomas and I were watching TV and Zachary kept coming into the living room with his hands full of candy. Thomas followed him and came back with candy too. Cassidy finally noticed and asked Thomas were it came from. He said they were in my shoes. They pulled all the candy out and thought it was just crazy. Thomas thought it was Santa and wanted to go open presents. Cassidy asked if I had done it, then figured Stewart had done it. I denied it on both accounts. Stewart was working that night. Then I read a story about St. Nikolaus to Cassidy and she was so excited to go back to school to tell her teacher that St. Nikolaus was still alive and he came to her house. They had learned about him in class. They even made paper shoes.

On Monday both Thomas and Cassidy came home from school with their shoes filled with candy and nuts. St. Nikolaus went to school over the weekend.

3 comments:

Life's A Dance - Don't Miss a Beat! said...

Wonder how that Cassidy-girl got so smart? Just like her mom, I say! xoxox Aunt Cissy

Life's A Dance - Don't Miss a Beat! said...

Looking at all these reminds me so much of our good times in Germany, Jen. Remember the visit to the coal mine? Neuschwanstein? The Italian guys who wanted to follow you and Amanda?

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I want to celebrate Christmas in Germany. I understand a lot of the traditions about Christmas come from Germany. How Fun!!