Sunday, August 16, 2009

Going Green

Well now what do I do with all the yard clippings and weeds I just pulled? German trash cans are really small. They do give us one for green waste, I think it is for food and yard clippings. But like I said it is really small and they only come around once a month. So I decided on composting.


Luckily I don't have to worry about rotating, mixing or where to put it. Our village has a community compost. We took our Christmas tree there last year, and this summer I have gone numerous times to dump our yard waste. The kids love it, they always want to get out and help. I usually don't let them, because all the other cars and tractors around. But this time there was no one around. So they were able to find sticks and play in the dirt.


At the first of the summer there were lots of town folk shoveling up the compost for their gardens. I was going to take some for our garden, when a man came up to me speaking German. Well I actually knew what he was telling me. He asked me if I was getting this for my home, when I replied yes. He told me to dig at the back of the pile because it didn't smell so bad. He was right and there were also fewer flies on the other side.


No comments: