Sunday, August 16, 2009

Trouble with a Capital "Z"

I have mentioned before about having trouble getting Zachary to sleep. Well we have had a good few months and then trouble started up again...

I have been fighting with Zachary to stay in his room after I have put him to bed. I tried the Supper Nanny thing, don't talk to him, just put him back in bed. You are supose to keep doing this until finally the child will give up and stay in bed. I kept at this for hours and days, so I decided I needed something else. So with the wonderful German doors, they all have locks that require keys from both sides. So I tried locking the door. This kept Zachary in his room, but he screamed, cried and kicked the door. All the while Thomas was sleeping. So the first night I let him cry for a little then went in and put him in bed and he stayed there. The next time I had to just keep him in there until he fell asleep on the floor. Then I scooped him up and put him in bed. Now all I have to do is just tell him I will lock the door if he comes out. And he usually stays put.

Then comes the "Trouble". He now knows he has to stay in his room, but he doesn't have to stay in bed. The other night I put Zachary and Thomas to bed at 7:30 after cleaning up their room. At 10:30 this is what I found.


Zachary is now staying in his room, but gets up, turns on the lights and plays. I put tape over the light switches the other night. It worked the first night, but he figured it out the second night. I am at a loss with what to do with this kid. And yes, Thomas sleeps through it all.

1 comment:

Emily Petty said...

Oh dear...you mean it doesn't get better with age?! At least Thomas is sleeping through it!