We took our first trip to France. We drove to Strasbourg to see another Gothic cathedral. This one was a bit bigger than the one in Germany. It was enormous. It was actually the world's tallest building from 1647 to 1874, and is the 6th tallest church today.


It was constructed between 1176 and 1439. In 1794 the French radicals who ruled the city made plans to tear down the spire, because it hurt the principle of equality. The tower was saved by the citizens of Strasboug by placing a giant tin Phrygian cap on top of the spear. This cap was the same cap the radical group wore. The artifact was removed an kept in a collection which was destroyed.


During Wold War II the stained glass was removed in 74 cases and was stored in the salt mines near Heinbronn, Germany. Inside the cathedral is an 18 meter long astronomical clock, one of the largest in the world. It indicates leap years, equinoxes and can calculate the date of Easter. Zachary is trying to get a better look. By the end of our walk inside the cathedral the kids necks were pretty sore. Zachary especially was interested in the things on the ceiling and the walls.


Outside the Cathedral in the plaza were street performers. This golden lady beckoned Thomas to come shake her hand. Then they posed for a picture. There was also a young juggler that the kids watched. We walked around the area and came upon a place to refill our water bottles. It was a warm day and Cassidy volunteered to fill up all the bottles.


We walked a bit farther and found a carousel. The kids and I took a ride, although I was not allowed to sit on the horse.


The boys are resting after a long afternoon of walking.


After Strasbourg we planned on relaxing in the Baths of Baden Baden. We dropped Ken and Carrie off at a traditional Roman style bath and Stewart and I were heading to another bath house. The bath house was open until 10pm and we got there at 5:30. But come to find out the child care is only open until 6:30. So we walked around the town without the camera. We found an area for the kids to play and we found a pizzeria where we had dinner. Stewart then volunteered to watch the kids so I could go experience the baths. I spent the next two hours in a mineral bath. The bath house consisted of three very large hot tubs with various jets and water falls to help you relax. It also had a cold water bath and a extremely hot water bath. I didn't go into the cold bath. It was relaxing but after an hour I was wishing I had a good book to relax my mind as well.
It was constructed between 1176 and 1439. In 1794 the French radicals who ruled the city made plans to tear down the spire, because it hurt the principle of equality. The tower was saved by the citizens of Strasboug by placing a giant tin Phrygian cap on top of the spear. This cap was the same cap the radical group wore. The artifact was removed an kept in a collection which was destroyed.


During Wold War II the stained glass was removed in 74 cases and was stored in the salt mines near Heinbronn, Germany. Inside the cathedral is an 18 meter long astronomical clock, one of the largest in the world. It indicates leap years, equinoxes and can calculate the date of Easter. Zachary is trying to get a better look. By the end of our walk inside the cathedral the kids necks were pretty sore. Zachary especially was interested in the things on the ceiling and the walls.
Outside the Cathedral in the plaza were street performers. This golden lady beckoned Thomas to come shake her hand. Then they posed for a picture. There was also a young juggler that the kids watched. We walked around the area and came upon a place to refill our water bottles. It was a warm day and Cassidy volunteered to fill up all the bottles.
We walked a bit farther and found a carousel. The kids and I took a ride, although I was not allowed to sit on the horse.
The boys are resting after a long afternoon of walking.
After Strasbourg we planned on relaxing in the Baths of Baden Baden. We dropped Ken and Carrie off at a traditional Roman style bath and Stewart and I were heading to another bath house. The bath house was open until 10pm and we got there at 5:30. But come to find out the child care is only open until 6:30. So we walked around the town without the camera. We found an area for the kids to play and we found a pizzeria where we had dinner. Stewart then volunteered to watch the kids so I could go experience the baths. I spent the next two hours in a mineral bath. The bath house consisted of three very large hot tubs with various jets and water falls to help you relax. It also had a cold water bath and a extremely hot water bath. I didn't go into the cold bath. It was relaxing but after an hour I was wishing I had a good book to relax my mind as well.
1 comment:
Jenni, these are really great shots. I visited Strausbourg in 1978, beautiful area. Sherry & I use the Rick Steves books, they are very down to earth with an interesting perspective. We just pledged on the PBS station & got all his shows & 4-5 books. When we were there in 2004 we came across another couple that was using his books in Rothenburg. Till next time, Happy Travels, Bobby & Sherry Walls
Post a Comment