Thursday, May 20, 2010

Our days with the plumber

The plumber was in our downstairs neighbor's house doing some work. We talked to him to come by and look at our hot water. Our hot water has not been very efficient and will work for awhile, then go out. So the plumber and our landlord came over and said they saw the problem and would come back the next day to fix our problem. So the next day he came back and had to replace some pipes. He showed my the sediment build up inside the pipes, and no wonder we didn't have very much hot water. He was here for a good 4 hours after being downstairs all morning. He left and said he would be back the next day to finish.



The next day he came by around 11am. I went down to check on him and there was water everywhere. Next thing I know his son came by to help. They had to clean out our boiler. The plumber said this area has a lot of sediment in its water. So he flushed out our boiler, while his son pushed the water down the drain in the floor of our basement. Stewart and I took off, and had lunch at a restaurant while the kids were in school. We picked up the kids from school and they were fascinated by the plumbers' activities and kept going downstairs to check on them. Finally when they were done, they removed a 5 gallon bucket full of sediment from our boiler. They also put in some chemical to help clean out the pipes. So now we have way too much hot water and the kids have all complained that their baths are too hot. I started Cassidy's shower the next day and she said I put it too cold (too far to the right). I turned it off and let her set it. She knows exactly where she likes it, but it was way too hot. And I have to be very careful when the boys are in the tub, because now the water is hot enough to burn them and German's don't have the the temperature control.

1 comment:

Gma Grover said...

Wow!!! That is a lot of sediment!! No wonder there was a problem. Glad you got it fixed...that is, as long as the kids don't get burns.