Our town had its Drachen Fest today. So after church the kids and I skipped our Sunday naps and attended the Drachen Fest. It was nearing the end so there were only a few kites left flying. We started by playing a few games.

They had a tisch tennis tent. The boys loved the mini table tennis and the little paddles that went with it. Cassidy on the other hand was having a hard time with the tiny paddle.
The games were set up in the parking lot of one of the schools. There were a few simple games. They had a ring toss and this clown ball toss set up in the back of a van. They had balloons that were supposed to be released into the sky. The balloons had cards attached for you to fill in your name, email and town's name, so the person who found your balloon could contact you and tell you where it ended up. Our kids kept the balloons.
The Ophthalmologist in the town had a fishing game set up. It definitely was not easy. They had a little hook and you had to fish out three pairs of glasses before you received your prize. This would not go over well back in the States. It too way too long for the kids to hook the glasses. But there were awarded with a bouncy ball. The bouncy ball had an eye painted on it which went well with our Halloween decorations.
Cassidy did not want to wait for Thomas and Zachary to fish out the glasses. So she went into the table tennis tent. She did much better with a real size paddle and table. The man serving her the ball was instructing kids on their technique. Table tennis is a pretty popular activity for kids. Cassidy's school has two tables in their courtyard. I bought Cassidy a paddle and balls to take to school, so she could play at recess. They even have cement tables set up in the parks (some with nets some without).
Cassidy got her kite up right way and then walked through the corn field to where I took the boys. This was their first time flying kites and I didn't want the kites all tangled with other kites.
It was a beautiful fall day. The kids had a great time. But they wanted to stand next to each other. I had to keep separating them and making sure they didn't cross strings as they were walking around. Only two lines got crossed and they were easily fixed.


For the most part the wind was just right for the kids enjoy flying their kites. But near the end, I did have to run back and forth between fallen kites to throw them back up into the air.
I was running back and forth between downed kites when I heard a little voice behind me saying "My kite is gone." Zachary was standing there squinting into the sun watching his kite fly away. Luckily the handle got caught on some branches at the edge of the field. I was able to untangle the string and get his kite back down to safety. But I was covered in burrs.

It was time to go home.
It was time to go home.
1 comment:
Was this an official kite-flying day? I've noticed people flying kites in the fields near our house on Sundays. Your pictures are great - what a great Mom to rescue Zachary's kite!
Post a Comment