Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ahh, the Sweet smell of Manure?

You would think we lived on a farm. When I walk Cassidy to and from the bus stop, I keep getting the same question from her. What is that smell? Ok, she knows what it is now and no longer asks. It seems the Germans love their manure. I see huge trucks full of manure driving through town. They take it to the near by fields and spread it around. It is kind of fun to watch, I just wouldn't want to be too close. It sprays out kind of like the trucks that spray salt on the icy roads. So I can live with that, but then they covered up my nice snow covered fields. I liked driving by and seeing rolling fields of snow, but now it is snow covered in manure. Then one day I was driving home and Stewart pointed out something that just made me laugh. I wish I had a camera with me, but missed out. In a snow covered field next to the road, was a big heart sprayed from manure. It will be interesting to see how the crops grow, are they going to grow taller into a heart shape too?

The other thing Germans love to spray is salt. Wow, they use a lot of it. Not only on the roads, but all the sidewalks and driveways and more on the roads. Not so eco friendly when it comes to having ice around. Our poor car. But at least there is a car wash down the street, and yes our SUV fits on it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha Stewart told you about the manure spread ou in Lake Shore. I know just what you mean. One day I went out for my early morning walk and slipped on wet manure and landed on my backside. Yuk!! Maybe Lake Shore is somewhat similar to Germany??

Emily Petty said...

Ha! The heart-shaped manure! I have noticed the over-plentiful amount of salt too - they go crazy with it! You are such a good Mom - you're movie night looks like fun.

Stevens said...

Nice!! That is so funny! I wonder if their crops grow that much better over there and it is funny that they do it during the winter!! i like your movie night idea. That sounds fun!