One of the big reasons for stopping in Switzerland on our way home was to go to the top of the Schilthorn. Stewart had been up to the top with his parents, but the kids and I had never been. The big difference this time for Stewart was that he was going to hike up there. To get to the top you have to take several cable cars. Our first cable car took us to Gimmelwald where we were meeting up with the Petty's. They were staying at a bed and breakfast there.

The kids were happy to discover a play area when we got off the cable car. The kids played here for a bit while the hikers were taking care of their last preparations for the hike.

The kids were happy to discover a play area when we got off the cable car. The kids played here for a bit while the hikers were taking care of their last preparations for the hike.
Frank, Jacob (Frank's brother in law, who lives in Switzerland) and Stewart are smiling before they head off on their journey. Emily and I let the kids play a little longer then we headed up to the top of the mountain to have breakfast.
At the top of the Schilthorn is a rotating restaurant, the Piz Gloria. We had at least 4 hours to kill before the boys arrived, so we ate very, very slowly. Our "James Bond Breakfast" was delicious. The kids liked guessing where the buffet was located. The seating area rotated around giving us a great 360 view, but the inside of the restaurant did not rotate. So when we went to fill our plates, it turned into a hunt for the food. Again we had 4 hours to kill.
The Piz Gloria was the hideout for the villain in On Her Majesty's Secret Service the 1963 James Bond film. After being here we had to go home and watch the movie and these rings were in the movie, but without he kids heads sticking through them. In fact the production actually financed the completion of the building.
So after the longest breakfast I think I have ever had, especially since I had kids, we headed outside. The clouds were moving fast and the blue sky was beautiful, but it was windy and a bit cold.
As luck would have it, one of the boys discovered a balloon sometime during breakfast. The adults confiscated it, but let them play with it after breakfast. Just a little fussball in the fog. Of course the balloon was eventually kicked over the edge of the rail and lost for good.

Another form of entertainment was some coloring time. I stole a few kids lunch menu's as we were leaving the restaurant, so all the kids had something to color. We also watched a film about the making of Piz Gloria and it even had a few scenes from the James Bond film. The kids especially liked Bond's narrow escape from his enemies by skiing down from this mountain. The gun fire and avalanches also entertained them. I am not sure how many times we watched this film while waiting for the men.
We walked around and found a safe place for the kids to gather and look at rocks. We could have wondered down some of the trails, but I don't think either Emily nor I wanted to tackle this with 5 kids.
As our time up here grew longer and longer more and more clouds were moving in. We started talking about the men and their life insurance policies.
But this is what they saw on their hide.
Well, I guess I spoke too soon. A few hours into the hike and the fog rolled in around them as well. Luckily they followed the trail markers.
I am glad Stewart had someone to do this with, because I am not sure I would have made it. Too many steep drop offs.
Emily and I broke out the snacks for the kids. We were waiting around up top, expecting the men any minute, any minute.
No comments:
Post a Comment