I put together our June Scouting event. In order for our pack to get the National Summer Time Achievement award we have to hold a pack event in June, July and August. Nobody else volunteered to put one together so I did. But once I got the ball rolling everyone pitched in. Here our pack trainer is giving the boys some know how about fishing. He teaches special education at our elementary school. So he knows how to get the boys attention.
We separated the boys into two groups. One group set out to fish while the other group stayed in the shade for some crafts and other activities. Cassidy and I taught the boys some German. There are several German communities around San Antonio. In fact the area just north of San Antonio is filled with German. Schlitterbahn is an incredible water park that the boys all know, even if they have never been there, they have heard about it. Cassidy also told them what is was like to attend school in Germany. They all liked that she got out of school at 12:30 and that we was able to use saws, hammers and nails. We also took our Kugelbahns and mini-Fussball table. The boys took turns playing each other. But I don't have any pictures, because I was busy teaching.
After about 35 minutes the boys switched. My boys went fishing and Cassidy and I taught another group of boys about German.
Thomas soon learned that fishing is all about the waiting. At least this type of fishing is.
Today wasn't just for the scouts. We all had a good time. Zachary finally got to use the fishing pole that has been sitting in our garage for a very long time. It was Cassidy's, but I don't think she ever used it. It is a Barbie pole and for some reason the other boys did not want to use it, even Cassidy didn't want to use it. So Zachary had the pole all to himself. And who is the only one that caught a fish. That would be Zachary and his Barbie pole.
After our fishing and German classes a few adults took the boys out to
the field for some soccer. It was hot and the boys were tired and hungry.
Nothing better than eating hot dogs, grilled to perfection by our Cubmaster, and chips on a hot summer day. It was a great way to end our great day. It was a fun day and each boy earned three belt loops, Fishing, Soccer, and Language and Culture.

No comments:
Post a Comment