Our niece on Stewart's side came up from Italy for a short visit. The kids and I picked her up from the train station and then to breakfast at our church Christmas Party. Then it was back to the house to wake up Stewart (He had just worked the night shift). After packing up the car with a huge amount of winter clothing we headed off to Schloss Hohenzollern about an hour away. It was a beautiful setting with all the freshly fallen snow. I just wish it would have been warmer.

It only takes 20 minutes or so to get all three kids bundled up for the cold. When we arrived at the castle it was 9 degrees Fahrenheit. But we came here to see a castle, that is what we did. But while the kids were waiting for me to put on my boots and gloves, they found a snow bank to play in. Which would have been great, except Zachary got snow under his mittens and started to whine. But I figured he could whine in the car on the way home or whine in the stroller while the rest of us enjoy ourselves.


I think most of these pictures are cutesy of Liz. I was trying to keep Zachary sort of happy or at least not crying. I was a little busy at times to think about taking pictures.
It was a beautiful castle and setting. We did not tour the inside of the castle. I did not think any of my kids would be up for a 45 minute tour in German. Nor would they wait patiently while Liz toured the castle. But we explored the castle grounds. I have heard they are beautiful in the spring. I will have to take my friends word on that. All we got to see was snow and more snow.
Kids will be kids. Even though it is below freezing, they still have to play in the snow and throw chunks of ice.
These statues looked as cold as I felt.
Thomas loves to eat snow. He didn't even need to use his hands for this one.
Zachary was just having a bad day.
This is where the gift shop is where we looked around and got warm. We also shared some Hot Chocolate from a vending machine to warm our hands.
Cassidy found swords in a snow bank as we were leaving. The kids had fun fighting with each other and trying to cut the snowflakes as they fell. Then after awhile they started drawing in the snow as we walked down from the castle. We took the bus back down the hill, Zachary was at his breaking point and the bus came just as we were walking down. Actually it was starting to leave as we got to the stop, but the driver saw us, stopped and let us on. When I got to the car and started putting the swords in the car as souvenirs, I noticed a burnt smell to them and a beeswax end. The kids were holding them by the beeswax ends. They were actually small torches and they were probably placed into the snow bank to put out the fire. By the way it was 4 degrees Fahrenheit when I finally got back in the car. I really miss TEXAS!
3 comments:
Awesome castle. Looks cool with all the snow.
You are all so brave to go out in the cold. Pretty awesome!!
You did a great job summing up the day. It makes me cold just looking at the pictures! Thanks again for touring with me. It looks like you guys had a great Christmas and New Year's!
Post a Comment