Fasching is Germany's Carnival or Mardi Gras. Fasching starts on November 11th at exactly 11:11am. And ends at the stroke of midnight on Fat Tuesday. It is a time to break the rules and make fun of those who make them. There is not much Fasching activity until February, then almost every town will celebrate it. There are parades every weekend.
Cassidy had the week off school, so I thought we should go to a parade. We dropped the boys off at a friends house and took the train into Stuttgart. It was a great day. Cassidy and I had time to talk and I didn't have to worry about traffic and parking. I also was able to really talk to her, because in the Suburban it can be very difficult to talk when she sits way in the back. We had fun watching all the people on the train, many of which were dressed up for the parade.
We soon discovered that Fasching is not for the timid. The costumes are scary. Zachary and Thomas would not have enjoyed it. They threw candy and passed out stickers and popcorn balls.
They also played tricks on the onlookers. If you see Cassidy above, she is laughing because the witch just stole her hat. The witch came and just pulled it off her head. Then as Cassidy tried to grab it, the witch kept raising it up out of reach. Some kids came prepared to fend of the witched antics. Many of them would spray silly string at the witches if they got too close.

This blue witch may seem nice, but one of her friends smeared black paint on my face. The witch came and gave a child in front of me some popcorn, then walked past me. Then I felt something on my cheek. I turned to see the witch right next to me!! I yelled for Cassidy to help me, but she just laughed. Then after the witch left, Cassidy let me know my face was all black. I liked this boat it was loaded with confetti. Cassidy and I were covered in confetti by the time the parade was over.
Fasching dates back to medieval times in Germany. The Rhineland area was divided and ruled by many kings. They used Fasching as a time to flaunt their riches and outdo each other. But it is now associated a time to cup loose before Lent.
The Thursday before Ash Wednesday it is Weiberfastnacht, or Women's carnival night. The women are allowed to kiss any man they like. I must have been at home asleep this night, I never saw any of this promiscuity. But also on this day, it is tradition to cut off men's ties. If you drive through the small towns you will see ties hanging over the streets. You will also find witches on the sides of buildings and hanging out windows in houses.
1 comment:
How interesting! Wow! There are a lot of celebrations in Germany. I guess when a country is so old there would be a lot having gone on in the past. What memories to bring home with you.
Post a Comment