Thursday, December 23, 2010

Europa Park

Granndaddy and Grandma Beaty treated us to a day at Europa Park. Stewart and I told the kids we were going to another Christmas Market. We left around 9am and drove to Rust, Germany (about 2 hours away). The kids were busy playing their Leapsters and reading books that they didn't notice any signs. They finally looked up just as we were passing the roller coasters. Thomas asked "can we go there?". Zachary kept yelling "That's a roller coaster!" Cassidy read that signs and said "I've heard of Europa Park, are we really going there?"



So here we are and there is a Christmas Market, we didn't lie to the kids.



Euro Maus and his bird friend.



Stewart and Cassidy went on the roller coaster in the sphere, it was Cassidy's favorite ride. We also saw the biggest Advent wreath I have ever seen.

















Winter Wonderworld



Inside the wonder world is a place the boys would have been happy to play for days. They kept running from table to table to try all the games.

























Cassidy ran to the unicycles as soon as she saw them. She rides them at school. I thought I would get a video of her, and found myself running around trying to keep up with her. She is only holding on for the picture. She can unicycle without hands. The boys took a ride on the swinging sea horses.

























While Stewart and Cassidy went on a roller coaster, the boys and I found rides they could go on. The first ride was Atlantis, it is similar to the Buzz Lightyear ride at Disneyland Paris that the boys loved. But instead of shooting Zurg and aliens, you shot sea monsters. The next ride was a balloon ride that got Thomas and I really cold with the wind blowing.

























We headed indoors to warm up and watch the circus. They brought kids from the audience for elephant rides and to play tug-o-war with the elephant. My kids didn't want to go down. Cassidy loved the horses and said she wanted the one on the left when we get back to Texas.
















There are several similarities to Disneyland. I am wondering if this is their version of It's a Small World. Actually we are traveling through Russia.

















Euro-mir roller coaster was the ride I choose to go on with Cassidy. Although I am not sure why. It was really high and the ride jerked you around the corners. But I did have a good time and so did Cassidy.


The park was all decorated for Christmas. It was really fun to look at the lights and the decorations. Several of the rides were not open, so we just might have to go back in the Spring.



Stewart of course had to drag the kids through the haunted house. We were on our way to the 4-D Polar Express movie, but we stopped here first.


Zachary did much better on this ride, then he in the haunted mansion at Disneyland. He at least looked at a few things, but then decided he had had enough.

























The Polar Express movie was really fun, it only lasted about 20 minutes. But it was the first 4-D movie our kids liked. Cassidy and Thomas even wore their 3-D glasses. After more rides and walking around the park we stopped by the fire to warm up.



Zachary doesn't want to look at the frogs. Cassidy is laughing, she thinks he is just too cute.



Zachary and Stewart are saying hi as they bump into us. We just finished floating around the Marionette river.



We stopped and warmed our hands and toes. The fire was gone, but it was still smoldering and plenty warm. Zachary was so serious while driving, but he kept bumping into the rails. He would turn one direction and keep going that same direction until he no longer could.



























We found a playground. It feels funny being at an amusement park in all our winter clothes. I had to stop and add extra layers to Zachary because it was getting cold. I say it was getting cold, but we started the day at 38 degrees.



























The boys are heading to the top of the tower to go down a slide.

























The dare devils.
I tried the slide this time. I had to use my feet to slow myself down. I wanted a picture of Zachary, but want to crash into him.


























The spinning mushroom. I actually got a picture of Cassidy swinging around.



Cassidy is always eager to take pictures. So I thought I would get in one finally.



Driving the sleigh.


























It was nice to have the Ferris wheel enclosed and they even provided us with blankets. I liked going on it an night, it didn't seem as high.

























Stewart and Zachary inside the Ferris Wheel.



We are riding the big ship that swings back and forth. Thomas is holding on for dear life. He never cracked a smile or said whee, but he said it was his favorite ride. Me, I got sick to my stomach. Stewart and Zachary sat on the opposite side, you might be able to recognize their eyes in the picture.

















These are tired kids waiting on Stewart to bring the stroller around.



The boys drove the bumper cars. Thomas was a good driver, staying clear of the other two cars. Zachary kept getting stuck, he doesn't have the hang of steering yet.



























In the evening the park put on a lights show with the park characters and Santa. We watched as Santa drove his sleigh over the lake. A park employee passed out Holospec glasses to everyone. When you wear them they turn the lights into snowflakes. Stewart and I actually purchased angel and snowman glasses in Maryland. Thomas and Cassidy loved them and wore them the rest of the night. I liked watching the fireworks with them, so I will be keeping them out until the New Year.


























The lights show took place over the lake. The water fountain sprayed and was lit up with different colors. The car is from one of the many boats traveling around the lake. On the way out we passed in front St. Basil's Cathedral in lights.


























We ate dinner at one of the hotel restaurants. Euro Maus came by to give the kids a chocolate Santa.


1 comment:

Emily Petty said...

Cool - so what's your recommendation - should we go there? Is it better than Legoland?